We’re often asked about the security of cloud solutions in general, and Deltek First Vision Essentials ERP system, in particular. Here are five reasons we’re as confident in the security of cloud ERP as on-premise ERP:
- Businesses are using the cloud successfully and safely. More than 90% of businesses reported using the cloud in the RightScale 2014 State of the Cloud Report, with smaller firms adopting at a faster rate than large enterprises. And the longer a company uses the cloud, the less it worries about security. Close to one-third of executives and professionals who haven’t yet implemented cloud solutions say security is their top concern, whereas only 13 percent of seasoned, heavy users of cloud services list it is a concern, and
it’s further down their list, according to the report.
- On-premise is more vulnerable to certain security risks. For example, malware/botnet attacks are more prominent in on-premises environments then cloud environments, according to Alert Logic’s 2014 State of the Cloud Security Report. And many security experts consider internal risks like poorly protected passwords, lost devices and disgruntled employees as a company’s greatest security threats.
- Cloud service providers (CSPs) face tougher standards than most enterprise data centers. CSPs are independently audited and must adhere to stringent standards such as Security Organization Controls (SOC), Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI, DSS) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA).
- CSPs offer substantially more security resources than the average company can afford. At the 2014 Amazon Web Services (AWS) Summit, the company’s Senior Vice President Andy Jassy was quoted as saying that today’s businesses simply can’t keep up with the pace of change. Even with a substantial investment, their infrastructure is outdated by the time it is completed.”With on-prem, you’re going to spend a large amount of money building a relatively frozen platform and implementation that has the functionality that looks a lot like Amazon circa 2010,” said Jassy. “It will improve at a very expensive and slow rate vs. being on something like AWS that has much broader functionality, can deploy more people to keep iterating on your behalf, keep evolving and improving the technology and platform.
- AWS, which powers Deltek First Vision Essentials, ranked highest in security among four leading public CSPs. Research and advisory firm Forrester conducted a study in 2014, evaluating the CSPs against 15 key security criteria. The study found that “AWS demonstrated not only a broad set of security capabilities in data center security, certifications and network security, but also excelled in customer satisfaction, security services partnerships and a large installed
base. AWS led with the size of its development and technical support staff, as well.”
To learn more about Deltek First Vision Essentials Cloud ERP software, contact us HERE.